New Asia College was founded in 1949 at a time of extreme adversity by Mr. Ch’ien Mu and other scholars from mainland China. Their objective was to establish an educational institution which integrated  the scholarly spirit of the Song and Ming academies and the tutorial system of western universities. With humanism as its basis, the College also aimed to facilitate cultural exchanges between East and West, and to advocate for peace and the well-being of the human race.

Farm Road Period (1956 - 1973)


Thanks to the support of the Ford Foundation, a new campus was built in Farm Road. The College moved there in September after the first phase of the building project.



The number of students increased substantially from 42 to 292. Special art courses, from which the Department of Fine Arts emerged in the following year, were set up.



The College accepted a proposal from the Hong Kong Government to become a post-secondary institution. It also started receiving government subsidies and admitting students who had participated in the Joint Certificate of Education Examination.



The second phase of the campus, wholly sponsored by the Yale-in-China Association, was completed in November, followed by the establishment of a new Faculty of Science.


1960 – 61:

The Faculty of Science was formed, with the establishment of the four Departments of Mathematics, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.



The third phase of the campus was completed in April, and it equipped the College with its first auditorium. Together with the Chung Chi College and the United College, New Asia College became one of the constituent colleges of The Chinese University of Hong Kong. The College campus remained in Farm Road.